Thursday, May 29, 2014

Miss MJ's Butterfly Wall

 
 
 
 
 
MJ has a lively personality, that is all girl. I knew that I needed to come up with something outside the box for the blank bedroom wall that her dresser and mirror were positioned against. There are lots of techniques I could use to turn this spot into something special.  As I said in my earlier post, she loves butterflies, and this Etsy picture caught my eye.
 
I could have ordered the paper 3D butterflies from Etsy, but because I have a silhouette cutting machine, I was able to choose the exact colors I needed, and cut them out of card stock in varying sizes. 
 
 

 
 
I first started to apply the butterflies with glue dots in a circular pattern.  There wasn't an exact  pattern that I followed, because I wanted to add dimension and bring a bit of whimsy to the room.


 
 
 

After I played around with the circle shape, I started to trail them off in different directions to cover the wall.

I purposely led the trail of butterflies over the mirror. This made the basic white mirror that many bedroom set come with, come to life with a 3D effect. It also made the mirror feel special and integrated into the design of MJ's room.
 
 
 My purpose for starting the butterflies in a circular pattern and then trailing them to each corner, was to draw your eye to across the whole wall, and make the space feel larger.
 

Before...
 
After.....
 
 
Stay tuned for tomorrow, I'll be revealing MJ's finished bedroom.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
COPYRIGHT 2014 WEST CREEK DESIGN

SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS